The ChoosaBroker Trading Academy
14.5. Keyboard Shortcuts
MetaTrader 4 is a robust trading platform, loaded with a whole host of user-friendly features. The various technical and trading tools can not only be launched via the on-screen menus, but can also be accessed using keyboard shortcuts. This comes in especially handy when you need to place a trade fast, or are tracking multiple markets simultaneously.
Shortcuts to Maximize MetaTrader 4 Functionality
This article will provide a comprehensive list of the most useful MT4 keyboard shortcuts.
FUNCTION KEY SETUP AND ORDER SHORTCUTS
- F1 – Opens the MT4 “User Guide.”
- F2 – Loads the “History Center.”
- F3 – Launches the “Global Variables” window.
- F4 – Pops open the “MetaEditor.”
- F6 – Loads the “Tester” window that is used to test the Expert Advisors attached to charts.
- F7 – Launches the “Properties” window of the Expert Advisors attached to charts.
- F8 – Opens the “Chart Setup” window.
- F9 – Opens the “New Order” window.
- F10 – Loads the “Pop-up Prices” window.
- F11 – Enables or disables the full screen mode.
- F12 – Shifts the chart by one bar to the left.
CTRL COMBINATION SHORTCUTS
- Ctrl+A – Reverts all indicator windows heights to their default.
- Ctrl+B – Opens the “Objects List” window.
- Ctrl+C – Copies to the clipboard.
- Ctrl+E – Enables or disables Expert Advisors.
- Ctrl+F – Enables the “Crosshair” chart feature.
- Ctrl+G – Reveals or hides the chart grid.
- Ctrl+H – Shows or hides the Open-High-Low-Close (OHLC) line.
- Ctrl+I – Loads the “Indicators List.”
- Ctrl+L – Enables or disables the “Volumes” chart pane.
- Ctrl+P – Prints the currently loaded chart.
- Ctrl+S – Saves the chart.
- Ctrl+W – Shuts down the chart window.
- Ctrl+Y – Shows or hides the chart period separators.
- Ctrl+Z – Undoes any object deletion.
- Ctrl+D – Launches or closes the “Data Window”.
- Ctrl+M – Launches or closes the “Market Watch” window.
- Ctrl+N – Launches or closes the “Navigator” window.
- Ctrl+O – Loads the “Options” window.
- Ctrl+R – Enables or disables the “Tester” window.
- Ctrl+T – Loads the “Terminal” pane.
- Ctrl+F5 – Switches to the next profile.
- Ctrl+F6 – Opens the next chart window.
ALT COMBINATION SHORTCUTS
- Alt+1 – Transforms the chart as a sequence of bars.
- Alt+2 – Transforms the chart as a sequence of candlesticks.
- Alt+3 – Transforms the chart as a sequence of dots connected by a line.
- Alt+A – Copies all optimization results on to the clipboard.
- Alt+W – Loads the chart managing window.
- Alt+F4 – Shuts down the client terminal.
- Alt+Backspace – Undoes any object deletion.
SHIFT COMBINATION SHORTCUTS
- Shift+F12 – Shifts the chart by one bar to the right.
- Shift+F5 – Activates the previous profile.
OTHER IMPORTANT SETUP SHORTCUTS
- “Left Arrow” – Scrolls the chart to the left.
- “Right Arrow” – Scrolls the chart to the right.
- “Up Arrow” – In case the scale is defined, the chart is scrolled up.
- “Down Arrow” – In case the scale is defined, the chart is scrolled down.
- Page Up – Fast scrolls the chart to the left.
- Page Down – Fast scrolls the chart to the right.
- Home – Returns the chart to the starting point.
- End – Shifts the chart to the end point.
- “-” – Zooms out the chart.
- “+” – Zooms in on the chart.
- Delete – Deletes the selected graphical objects.
- Backspace – Deletes the last added chart object.
- Enter – Opens or shuts the fast navigation window.
- Esc – Closes the dialog box.